- 1. Health is inextricably related to politics in Canada
- 2. Health regions (school boards, municipal governments...) sit at the pleasure of government, so while government happiness is not a performance indicator, it is an important variable to consider.
- 3. Power destabilization is a highly effective mechanism for cost control and system control
- 4. During destabilized times, opportunities exist that the intrepid public health worker can monopolize on.
- 5. During destablized times, risk is higher, but so is the potential gain. Entrepreneurs truly understand the relative value of risk and gain – so if governments truly wish to bring a business attitude to health – here is the opportunity for innovators to shine.
Health boards were struck to act as a buffer zone between the public and front line workers, and politicians. Health systems are such an integral part of the Canadian culture, that they are the basis of loosing elections when tinkered with, and rarely the genesis of an election win.